Sunday, September 29, 2013

Brooks Cambium C17 Update: It's a Keeper


A few weeks ago I mentioned that I had just received one of Brooks' new Cambium C17 saddles. Since then I've logged a few hundred miles on the C17, so I suppose it's time for a more proper review.

The C17 has bounced around among three of my bikes as I've tried to figure out what kind of riding it's best suited for. It started out on my Bianchi Volpe that generally get's used for off road stuff, spent a few days on my Trek 760 in full roadie mode, and eventually settled in on my Trek 614, the randoneuse. All three of these bikes have the handlebars set at least 4 cm below the saddle, so I have yet to try the C17 on a bike with a more upright position.

The rides I've done on the C17 have ranged from short hilly intense training rides, to several-hours-long gravel road adventures, to lazy daily commutes to work. I had a chance to ride it on sweaty hot days, and cool drizzly ones. The longest ride I've used it for was a little over 80 miles.


In the riding I've done on the C17, it has mostly disappeared beneath me. That is to say, I didn't really notice it after the first few minutes of the ride. To me, that's the greatest compliment you can pay to a saddle.

Notice I said, "mostly disappeared." In the first couple of rides on the C17, I was a little distracted by its "stickiness." Not sticky like honey, but the texture of the top of the saddle grabs onto the seat of your pants pretty well, especially when you're wearing spandex riding shorts. If you're used to the slipperiness of a classic leather saddle like a Brooks B17, you'll probably notice this right away. However, the C17 is far from the stickiest saddle I've ever ridden (that distinction would go to a cheap plastic Performance house-brand torture device). I spend a lot of time riding leather Brooks saddles, so I'm quite used to being able to easily shift my position on the saddle without lifting my bum at all. The C17 requires that I put a little more effort into shifting positions, but once in the right position I tend to stay there better. After some time on the C17 I came to consider the texture as more of a feature than a defect and quickly stopped noticing it at all. On my Brooks Pro on the other hand, I still sometimes find myself sliding around a little more than I'd like.


Early on I also noticed that my riding shorts would catch a bit on the chamfered edges along the nose of the saddle. This soon became a non-issue not simply because I stopped noticing it, but because it stopped happening. My guess is the exposed rubber edge where the cotton fabric ends is a bit grabby when fresh out of the box, but after grinding in a bit of sweat and road dirt, the grabbiness goes away.

The C17 achieves long distance comfort in exactly the same way a classic leather Brooks saddle does it. The suspended vulcanized rubber/cotton canvas/textile top feels quite firm to the touch, but it gives slightly under the weight of your sit bones. The firmness of the C17 is very similar to that of a year old Brooks B17 I have, but it's not as firm as my Brooks Pro (which is also fairly new but broken in). With a classic Brooks, the leather eventually retains the impression of your sit bones even when you're not on it. This hasn't started to happen with the C17 and it seems unlikely that it will ever happen.


I spent some time in a typical Seattle drizzle on one of my rides. I was riding my Trek 760 at the time which is proudly fenderless. (Riding a bike without fenders in Seattle is a sure-fire way to bring on the rain.) The C17 was of course soaked and covered with road grit. Had I been riding my B17 or Team Pro I would have been digging through garbage cans beside the road looking for plastic bags to cover the saddle so I wouldn't ruin it. With the C17, I had no worries. I hosed off the road grit when I got home and the saddle was as good as new.

One commenter on my previous post mentioned that when the top of the saddle gets wet, it doesn't easily wipe dry. This is true. The cotton textured top holds onto water better than your typical plastic saddle. So, if you park your bike outside in the rain and then hop on in your street clothes, you'll end up looking like you wet your pants. This hasn't been an issue for me as my bikes tend to be parked under cover when I'm not riding them, but if you park your bike outside you may want to cover the saddle to keep it dry.

The same commenter also complained of the rivets on the back of the saddle being uncomfortable. So far, I've never felt the rivets at all. Perhaps it's more noticeable if you ride with a more upright position? My position seems to be well in front of the rivets.


As I mentioned before, the C17 has settled on my Trek 614 for now. That's the bike that usually gets ridden on brevets and other long rides so it has to have a saddle that is comfortable from sunrise to sunset and beyond. It still hasn't been tested on a ride of more than 80 miles, but from my experience so far I'm confident that it will be at least as comfortable on long rides as the B17 it's replacing.


For sportier short rides like the kind I tend to do on my Trek 760 the C17 worked well. But with the deeper handlebar drop that bike has, I suspect a narrower saddle might work even better. I'm anxiously awaiting the introduction of the Cambium C15. Brooks claims it will be a narrower version based on the classic racing model, the Swallow. Sounds like just the ticket.

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. One important question though - did you use padded bike pants when riding C17? I never got those and the big advantage of a leather saddle is that I can ride for 120 miles in cotton underpants and casual trousers without sore butt afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I usually wear padded bike shorts regardless of the saddle I'm using.

      Delete
    2. I ride in bike shorts not because they are padded but because they are seamless and less likely to chafe those tender parts. I've been riding a B17 for years. The C17 looks good to me because it can handle getting wet.

      Delete
  2. No more stained clothes! Sold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,

    Did you ride this saddle at the Tsunami 600k?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,

    I am considering between Brooks Cambium or San Marco Regale Carbon Fx. do you have suggestion is it worth extra comfortable to get Cambium over lighter Regale?

    many thanks,
    Giri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had any experience with the Regale, only the older Regal model. But they appear to be very similar in shape and construction. So take my opinion for what it's worth.

      For me, the Regal and Cambium feel very similar when I first sit on them. The shape is similar and they both feel fairly firm at first. But the Regal always starts to get uncomfortable for me around 200 - 300 km into a ride. At some point my sitbones start to get tender, feeling almost bruised. Anything over 300k on the Regal becomes near torture. With the Cambium I've now done several rides of more than 200 km including a 600k brevet, a 536k fleche and a 500k solo ride. The Cambium was nearly as comfortable at the end of those rides as it was at the beginning.

      I think the main difference is in the way the rubber shell of the Cambium flexes and yields to your sit bones. It's very much like the way a traditional leather Brooks saddle flexes. The plastic shell of the Regal on the other hand doesn't really give much at all. It's just the padding on top of the shell that gives.

      But saddles are a very personal thing. What works for me may not work for you. I know there are places that offer a full refund on saddles if you don't find it comfortable. Best bet is to buy from one of them and try it out.

      Delete
    2. I've got the Regal e saddle and it took a few rides to get used to it. Its very comfy but as Steve says, around the 200km it starts to get a little bit uncomfortable. I may try the C15 or c17 soon

      Delete
  5. Many thanks for your quick and complete info. I'll find Cambium for trial first, maybe my LBS could help me with this. I am guessing that it should feel fairly similar for me, as I usually do not go over 100K on ride. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a B17 on a hybrid bike (Electra Verse) and despite the fact the saddle is new it feels quite comfortable. The sitting position is almost upright and I was wondering about your thoughts on using a C17 on a bike with a more upright position.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only used the C17 on bikes with drop bars, and generally about 4 - 5 cm below the saddle, but I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work well on a bike with a more upright position. It's not particularly narrow, and in my experience sitting upright calls for a wider saddle.

      Delete
  7. Nice review. I have also enjoyed the C17. I tried the narrower C15 on a 600K, but it was too narrow for my liking. Centered soft tissue pain. FYI, my company (eogear.com) has a demo program where you can "rent" the Cambium and other saddles.
    ~ Rando Richard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve, I have done about 25 200km brevets in the last 2 and a bit years but saddle issues make them painful and so far have prevented going further. I got a C17 (carved) 2 months ago, have done 600kms in total, 150, 135, 100 and some 50s but still not really comfortable after about 100. Tried a few setup variations so far but do you have any hints on how you set it up, anything different, angle? I have mine level as measured from the front to the back highest points which puts the nose up slightly but otherwise basic KOPS and heel on pedal height (like all my other uncomfortable saddles). Will continue with it as it looks a good saddle, feels like I am applying power well and the no rain issues is a big plus. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've now ridden my C17 through two years of randonneuring including PBP. It continues to be the most comfortable saddle I've ever used. I'm sorry to hear that it's not totally working for you. Mine is set up near level with maybe just a very slight nose up. When I used B17s, I had to set them up with quite a bit of nose up.

      Delete
  9. Since this past summer, my “sanded & shellacked” C17 Cambium (solid nose) has been my go-to saddle for long distance rides. Between three bikes, I have logged about 9,000 miles so far in 2015, but all my brevets have been done on one bike which has the Cambium on it. Check out page two of this blog post: http://www.randorichard.com/hints-helps/saddles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good review!This is great post.I like this post. Many many thanks for this post.Really this post is so helpful for the bike .

    ReplyDelete
  11. you'll additionally got to invest in some sport clothing mtb components retailers ought to be ready to offer you any recommendation if needed for more information click here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bicycles have the handlebars set no less than 4 cm beneath the seat, so I have yet to attempt the C17 on a bicycle with a more upright position.

    ReplyDelete