Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Remembering Michael Wang


This Saturday it will be one year exactly since Michael Wang was hit and killed by the driver of an SUV at the corner of Thomas and Dexter in Seattle. The driver left the scene of the accident but was eventually apprehended and charged.

Michael Wang was a husband, a father, a talented photographer, a great guy by all accounts, and he enjoyed commuting to work by bicycle.

Nearly every weekday I ride by the corner where Wang was killed, once on my way to work and once on my way home. A couple of days ago I was riding up the hill on Dexter on the wheel of another bicycle commuter. As we approached Thomas street the cyclist in front of me sat up a bit, crossed himself and then gave a little two-fingered salute toward the corner where Wang died. My mind was somewhere else at the time, so at first I didn't understand what he was doing. Then I remembered the ghost bike that had been chained to the street sign for much of last fall.

The ghost bike is long gone, and sometimes it's easy for me to ride by with my thoughts elsewhere. So, thanks to the commuter in front of me who helped me remember Michael Wang.

No comments:

Post a Comment