Friday, May 18, 2012

Rode to Work with the Mayor this Morning

I rode in to work with our Mayor, Mike McGinn this morning. Well, actually that might be overstating it a bit. Today being Bike to Work day, the Cascade Bicycle club had organized a special “Bike to work with Mayor McGinn” event. The ride started at the KEXP studios on Dexter Ave at 7:45 AM and progressed up 5th Ave to City Hall where they held a little rally. It just so happens that my normal morning commute goes right by the KEXP studios, so I left a little earlier than usual (I’m usually still reading the newspaper in my underwear at 7:45) so I could join in the fun. In fact, I didn’t actually see the Mayor until I got to City Hall. He apparently hammered hard, or did some “skitching” to get there ahead of the rest of us.

This was the scene at City Hall when I got there.


Not exactly a huge crowd, but all the cool kids were there. Even though the rally didn't draw many people, I have to say I saw like a gazillion people... no make that 10 gazillion people riding their bikes to work this morning. I love seeing so many people out discovering the joys of commuting by bicycle. I realize that quite a few of them will only do it today, but I'm sure for some today is the beginning of something bigger.

I did find Mike hanging out at the rally and talking with his constituents about the benefits of low trail geometry or something like that.


He didn’t look winded at all so at first I assumed he rode there in the back of his big mayoral stretch limo. Then I noticed he was still wearing his official mayoral reflective pant cuff strap.


You definitely don't need one of those to ride in a limo.

No comments:

Post a Comment