Thursday, September 10, 2009

What This World Needs is Another Blog

Yeah, probably not... Anyway, I'm starting this blog as a service to my friends and family. For the past few months I've been emailing detailed descriptions of long boring bike rides to my friends and family, clogging their inboxes with jiggly photos and long descriptions about fascinating topics like gear ratios and what I wore and ate on a nine hour bike ride in the rain. Well, the emails are coming to an end. From now on I'll post my ride reports here for the whole universe to ignore.

If you haven't been getting my ride reports in the past, here's a little history:

Over the past 12 or so years I've commuted by bicycle from my home in North Seattle to jobs in downtown Seattle, Kirkland and Bellevue. It wasn't always every day, and it wasn't always year-round, but still I logged quite a few miles getting myself to and from work. But for most of that time, my bike was nothing more than a commuting tool. I almost never went for a ride for fun or exercise and I almost never rode more than 20 miles in a day. And then one night I got drunk with a friend...

In February 2008 my friend talked me into riding the STP--a 200 mile group ride from Seattle to Portland. Most do this ride in two days, but we were going to ride it in a day. So I bought myself a new bike and started riding more to get in shape. I finished the one-day STP later that year along with a few other organized (and some disorganized) century rides. Somewhere in the countless hours and miles I spent on my bike that spring and summer I had a bicycling epiphany. I - love - to - ride. I love riding in all weather, the longer the ride the better, up hills, down hills, on the flats, wherever... I love to ride.

In my search for new places to ride and new people to ride with, I stumbled upon the whacky sport of Randonneuring. I now ride regularly with the Seattle International Randonneurs, and am planning to ride the muthah of all Randonneuring events in the fall of 2011, the P-B-P 1200k.

I also really enjoy writing about some of the more epic rides I do. I realize that the ride reports aren't terribly interesting to anybody but me and a few other likeminded nuts. That's okay, it's really just for me. Oh yeah, and my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment